Thursday, January 13, 2011

Crochet Flower Rug

One wintry day this past December, I decided to unravel the giant lambswool sweater that had been sitting in my closet for too long.  It never fit right, and it was such a nice big sweater that I thought it would be good to repurpose all that yarn.  It was a good choice.  I made a nice scarf and this rug for my friend Jess.  


I didn't have a pattern, just an idea of making a rug with a flower in the middle.  I used some colored cotton yarn mixed in with the lambswool, and I was pleased with the result.  It's unusual, interesting to look at, and feels good under one's toes.  I hope it looks nice in my friend's home.  I hope many little kid toes linger on it after bathtime!

I love making rugs!  My brother gave me a rope maker for Christmas and it's really fun!  I've made a few different kinds of rope with it and now I'm experimenting to find the best way to sew the coils together to make a rag rug.  Sometimes I wish these kinds of skills were still passed down from generations before, but oh well....here's to embracing the path of learning!

4 comments:

  1. that's beautiful!!! i've never heard of a rope maker...i'm envisioning something like a grown-up knitting mushroom, which creates a long knitted tube...i'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the rope machine that I have....http://www.schachtspindle.com/our_products/rope_machine.php
    (you'll probably have to cut and paste that, sorry) It twists the fiber and then you use a separator to use the tension to keep the fiber wrapped upon itself. Hard to explain. It's so so cool! I've used yarn, but also long strands of sheets! We'll have to play with it when you come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that rug is awesome. glad ropemaker is working out. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah!!! glad to hear it works and gets the job done. your rug is amazing!
    you are an amazing maker.

    ReplyDelete