Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Thoughts

You can always count on me to try an experiment. Yep. Unless it involves eating something weird. Or hugging someone. And yes, I'm sorry I don't like hugging, but for goodness sake I can't help it. I do try.....and am getting better about it a little perhaps? Anyway.....

Experiments. I like experiments. I like trying new ideas out to see if they work. I like making do with what I have (for the most part) because it awakens this feeling of adventure within me. I like systems. I like trying to figure out how to make plans be more effective. Yep. I do.

Unfortunately for those around me (ahem...my poor husband) I like to think through experiments and what is effective and what isn't and how can I make it better? far too much. And often times, my ideas make more work for those around me. It's true. Sorry J. You are a trooper and I'm so glad you like most of my ideas. (unless it involves moving the furniture yet again...)

Anyway....I've been thinking about how I spend the day and how I can fit more in and do more things that I want to do and spend more time with my kids...yadda yadda yadda. Isn't that what most homeschooling moms think about from time to time? Ok...perhaps we think about it often. Well, I do. But you know me... I have a thinking problem.

Lately though, I've been realizing more and more two important things.....

Are you ready?

1. I don't have to finish everything and have a clean house and a cooked meal and bathed, well-mannered children by 6:00pm in order to consider my day a success.

I know. Most people already know this. And I thought I did too, but then I realized that I knew it, but I didn't really believe it. I didn't feel successful unless everything was done and everything all smooth and pretty. And it was slowly driving me mad. Ugh.

So yesterday I tried an experiment.....

I let myself work most of the day, while spending time with the boys. We picked apples, we read books, we played outside, we baked, we cooked, we snuggled, we cleaned the house, we walked the dog....and other things too. But then at 4pm, even though there was a mountain of laundry to be folded and floors to be vaccuumed still...I stopped. Yep. Just stopped. I put in a show (Doc Martin. Do you know it? It's so funny!) I sat down and did some knitting. It was great! I did this for about an hour and when J came home I was refreshed! Whoa!

I did this again today and I do believe it's my new thing. I'm going to work until a certain time and then I'm going to take a break. I'm going to allow myself some time for work and some time for play and some time for rest each day. It feels great....and I'm sure it's sound advice because it's just what Marmee would do.

and .....

2. The success of my day should be measured by what I have cultivated in the hearts of my children.

Do I need to say more about this? I dunno. I guess, for me, I need to be more aware of my interactions with the boys and make sure that my thoughts and actions toward them are well seasoned with Grace. I want them to see God's grace in me.

I fall pretty short of this sometimes. But I know that God is faithful in helping me. I know that He is kind and patient and always willing to help me try again.

And today Badger prayed at the dinner table thanking God for the new Lego magazine. And I'm so glad about that. It might sound silly, but I'm glad that my boy is learning that God cares about our little things too!


1 comment:

  1. I love this. Its so important to take time to rest and refresh-for our sake and everyone elses sake around us! and I love when my little one talks about God too. I love that its so natural for her. it reminds me to be thankful to God for the little things.

    ReplyDelete