Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Apples, Apples, and an Arrow

I rolled out of bed around 6am today. That's the usual time, on a good day. I want to wake before the boys to have a moment to myself to read and pray and to get settled in my spirit before the business of the boys starts. This morning I made a new apple creation, spurred into existence by my new apple peeler, corer, slicer. That contraption is really so very cool! I'm so glad I finally have one and I love love love it! Knowing that I could have the apples peeled, cored, and sliced in just a minute or two, it seemed like a good idea to make an Apple Delight for breakfast. So that's what I did. Apple Delight.
It was a pan of small homemade biscuits layered in two layers with apples, honey, pecans, and cinnamon. All baked to a golden brown. Yum.

We then proceeded to have a morning of apple pie making, because....well...the peeler, slicer, corer is just so fun! The boys love it! Did I mention that it leaves the apple, the ENTIRE apple in one big spiral? So cool!
Five cans of apple pie filling all ready for winter. Hurray~!

The afternoon was spent on chores for me, and playing outside for the boys. They are working on their archery skills. Badger has crafted this bow out of a willing branch. The arrows are a variety of material, from sticks to old Hosta stalks. Lovingly tied with ribbon. The ribbon they found in a drawer just happens to be the ribbon that was used in our wedding to tie off the aisles, 10 years ago. Who would've thought that someday it would be used by our boys to make arrows. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can just see the boys with the apple machine. Uncle Geo loves his. In August, our Orlando grandkids lined up to take turns with it too. I would like the recipes for the Apple Delight (and biscuits) and how to make the apple pie filling to can it. Let me know if you need me e-mail.
    It was so good seeing you last Sunday and it did Grandma a world of good!
    Blessings to all-Aunt D

    ReplyDelete