Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Yesterday's Adventure

It's been crazy warm here, for Febraury.   We've been outside every chance we've gotten, soaking up the sun, splashing in the puddles and reacquainting ourselves with our old friends in the woods.  I've missed the trees.  The snow and cold of January made it almost impossible to walk in the woods.  Even yesterday when we were out, with the several days of forty degree weather the snow was up past my knee.  We ventured out anyway, into the woods, to catch a glimpse at the very large bird that we've seen from the kitchen window.  

The snow was so deep, and had a thick crust of ice on the top.  The boys could easily walk on top of it, while I stepped in deep with every step.  It was exhausting work.  I pulled the sled behind me with little Hen happily settled in.  We walked and walked and got stuck in the snow several times.  Little Owl took the opportunity to howl and cry as much as possible.  "Oh! There's snow in my boot! Oh! My glove is off again!"  After a few minutes of this, I knew we would not see our prize.  What bird in his right mind would stay out in clear view when such craziness is afoot. 

I did see him though the day before when I took the dog out for a run.  I couldn't get a good picture because he was so high up in the tree.  Here's the best I could do.

What kind of bird do you think it might be?  An owl?  This same bird from fall? If it is the same bird then he's grown quite a bit.  And in case it helps he is a noisy, noisy flyer because I've heard him take off, his giant wings making this awesome sound.

I hope the boys will get another chance to see him.  I wonder if he will migrate or if he is here to stay.  Our adventures will have to wait though, because it seems we are getting yet another virus.  Little Hen is   coughing, coughing, coughing, and the other boys are just starting with it.

Off to take care of the wee, sad, coughing man.
love,
reba

No comments:

Post a Comment