Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Some balm


Last night was.....rough. I was an absolute grump.  About something rather silly even. (Although it did seem like a matter of principle to me then....but arguing for want of being "right" is neither practical nor kind)  So after J and I butted heads a bit....I headed upstairs to read stories with a hurting heart (my own doing) and a sore tongue. (harsh words hurt!)

Then I settled in to read with the boys.  They were all snuggled up together in their beds.  It just happened that we were on the chapter in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" titled Deeper Magic from the dawn of time (or something like that).  It is the chapter right after Aslan dies and Lucy and Susan are mourning for him.  Then he comes to life again and they kiss him, and put their hands in his great mane, and he romps with them through the woods and fields.  Remember that part?  Yeah.  My soul really needed that just then.  Some balm. (like "some pig"?) I opened this soap earlier in the day and it had these little word magnets in the box! (can you see them?)
And also as we were reading together last night....Hen in my lap....I read the words "down, down, down he lept.." and Little Hen clear as day said, "down, down, down."!!!!! The boys laughed so hard they practically rolled out of their beds, and of course there was much repeating of "down, down, down" by everyone.  This morning he still is saying it.  Now he says it and looks around to see if anyone laughs and then when they take notice of him HE laughs. Oh man, is this boy ever turning out to be a handful!  Here is a picture of the little monkey just after his bath this morning.  Look at that hair! 


It is amazing to me that I can still be such a grumpy grump (yes that's a real thing) even when surrounded by so many beautiful, amazing things.  And I am wholeheartedly ashamed of myself for being so selfish sometimes. (it's true. i am.)  But the good news is there is forgiveness and fresh starts and love.  Today as I look to fill our family with "some balm" the words of the book of Corinthians keep coming to mind.  

Love is patient. Love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.....

I'm going to go practice this now as I take the dog out in the cold and snow...and find homes for all the new xmas gifts...and wipe noses and settle them in for some quiet times.  I'll let you know how it goes...



No comments:

Post a Comment